Monday, November 19, 2012

Dr. Buckley's visit went great!

I finally got to head back to the pediatric hospital!! (seems weird to say at 35...haha)  Laura and I loved seeing all the old faces around the clinic and seeing Dr. Buckley.  She looked great and just amazes me that she is still going strong as ever.

My appointment went well while she did a ton of labs.  I just talked to her tonight and got the results which show that my immune system still has some building to do.  Nothing to be alarmed about but she wants to keep an eye on it till it builds all the way back up.  She tested 3 out of the 4 parts of the immune system which took some time in the lab before the results got back.  A lot of the test involved the functions of my t cells which were hurt pretty bad by the chemo.

I am doing fine but I have gotten a TINY case of graft versus host disease on my skin.  I started back on my immunospuressment drugs and some ointment to put on the rash.  That worked great and it has gotten much better.  We were thrilled to hear it was such a small case and it should be all over shortly.  I saw Dr. Chao today and head back in 2 weeks to keep an eye on it.

Everyone is still doing well and I pinch myself everyday to make sure this was all not a dream.  Miracles do happen!

4 comments:

  1. suzycashwell@yahoo.comNovember 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM

    Dear Burns, What a wonderful way to celebrate Thanksgiving! We are so thrilled that you're doing well, and we just know the GVH will be taken care of quickly. I'll call Mary Jane in the a.m. in case y'all haven't talked with her since you saw Dr. Buckley. As a parent, I can only imagine how your mom and dad feel right now. As a friend on the periphery of your lives, I know I feel gratitude for great doctors, for your family's, and especially Laura's, love for you, and for God's many gifts. Have a wonderful celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring story. Thanks for sharing the journey and the experience with fellow readers. Donating organs or bone marrow is truly like the gift of life. Donors should step up. Nowadays the extraction is painless and has fewer complications. Both bone marrow donors and recipients usually go on to live normal and healthy lives. Source : Bone marrow transplant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Burns....I've been checking back periodically to see if you have updated since 11/19, but of course you haven't! Hopefully this is because you are doing excellent and have nothing new to tell! I hope to find out that you all had a wonderful Christmas and have entered the New Year better than ever. Good luck to you and praying for you as always. Tell your family hello for me.

    Gail Tindall (former Terminx employee)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see your experience about defecting the disease! Thank you for sharing your experience!:)

    ReplyDelete