Sunday, October 28, 2012

Headed to see Dr. Buckley!

First, I am very sorry for the delay in posts as promised.  Laura and I are doing good but have had a couple months where our minds were occupied.  A quick summary is that Bailey, our cocker spaniel, had to be put down due to liver failure.  It all happened so fast and the vets really never knew why it happened.  Our dogs are our family and it was a tough time, especially after the big year we have had.

Then Ripley, our lab, had a bad episode of "vertigo" for dogs and we thought at one point she was going to be moving on with Bailey.  She has since made a good recovery with small side effects that might be permanent.  

So with all that and the proud addition to the family, Bugs Blackwell, a golden doodle, (crazy man!) we have been busy.  We are enjoying the new puppy. 

I recently went to see Dr. Chao and he took me off my last immunosurpressment drug!  Yes!  That means Nov. 8 I get to go back to Dr. Buckley's clinic and see all my old friends.  I am sure she will do many many test to see what my immune system is like now.  (she could not do these until the immunosurpressments were stopped)  We look forward to hearing all the good news.  

So we are close to closing this chapter in our lives.  And boy do we look forward to that!  I have been hard at work and we now will try and plan a few trips over the coming months to celebrate being CGD free!  (don't want to celebrate too early till after Dr. B's visit and all the labs show a positive result) 

I know I have said this many times, but Laura and I with our families, cannot thank everyone enough for their support.  Being out in the community lately, we have gotten an overwhelming excitement and support from people.  We thank you!  

2 comments:

  1. suzycashwell@yahoo.comOctober 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM

    Burns and Laura - I can't believe it! Hadn't checked your blog in ages, but accidentally typed "MA" into my Google search "thing," and there was your posting from yesterday! Guess it picked up on "marrow." I read it through and then called Mary Jane and read it to her, and both of us had tears in our eyes. We are both so thrilled to hear your good news, and anticipate even better news from Dr. Buckley when you go next week. Meanwhile, hug each other and your precious dogs (can't wait to meet Bugs), and enjoy your new freedom. And we all say a prayer of thanks. Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Burns and Laura, Pete and I have just returned from a week of traveling with your parents and we often referred to "The Miracle". We are all so thrilled you are cured! It truly is a miracle and Dr. Buckley is your angel on earth. It is also a miracle that Harden now is in a good mood ALL OF THE TIME! You two are the 8th and 9th wonders of the world!!!!!!! Much love! Ann and Pete

    ReplyDelete