Monday, March 26, 2012

Round Two Starts April 5...

Today Laura and I went to Duke and got the results from the last graft study. They were negative so we start again. April 5th is the big day with 3 types of chemo for 4 days and then one day of full body Radation. Last time they did the chemo over 5 days but they will squeeze it all in 4 days this time so there is time for the radiation.

John will do the same thing he did last time. Shots for 4 days and then 2 days of stem cell collection while continuing the shots. Those collection days take 6 hours each and the shots are twice a day. After a few days of the shots, he will have a good bit of discomfort and pain but should recover quickly after he is done.

They think the addition of the radiation will be a big key because it will bring my immune system down lower than last time. It will make more "room" for John's stem cells to make a home and kick out my stem cells. Maybe my stem cells just were not beat up enough last time.

We still have our apartment and we are ready. We have hit a lot of restaurants and had some time to rest, work and see some friends. We head back Monday for some test and John is headed up tomorrow morning for some labs to prepare. Then back Wednesday to move in. (plan subject to change)

For me, I am good. Nervous a little but good. To have so many loved ones willing to walk this journey with me means the world. My wonderful wife is ready for round two, even though I can get grumpy during this some. She was ready to start last week. My amazing brother and his wife Eliza are willing to do whatever they need. He told me he had 5 of them in him. (even though I know he would do more) Let's just pray we don't need that many! My parents will again burn up some miles on 85 coming to visit and do whatever's they can to help. Ripley(our lab) is quite excited about moving back in with them! And Laura's parents are wonderful to keep Bailey (our cocker spaniel), whom we love to FaceTime while in Durham, and make their visits.

Everyone has been so great about sending cards,notes, prayers, calls, text, and anything else I cannot remember. It means the world to us and keeps the spirits high! Thanks and we will need it all again!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Burns!

    Consider Round #1 a mulligan! Everyone gets one!

    You'll hit it long and straight this time!

    Love, Ross (Harris)

    ReplyDelete