Sunday, May 6, 2012

DOT +26

Friday night at 7 pm, I got a call from a PA at the bone marrow clinic. My first thoughts were not good because they never call. It was Peggy and she asked for me to sit down ( so I did). She told me that one study had come back and the results show a 98% donor cell population! The graft has set and is working! Wow, was that incredible news. She did not know much else and said we could find out more over the weekend.

My counts were good Friday so they let us have the day off Saturday, which was fun because Laura and I love to watch the Derby so we had great tv all day! Todays visit they were very pleased with the results but also said to be cautiously optimistic. We are still in the early stages and things change fast. But the fact that there is so much graft, is wonderful!

So now we continue our day to day routine. Today my hemoglobin was 6.5, the lowest it has been. I received two units of blood and a lot of magnesium. My WBC keeps going up and down, but that is to be expected in these early stages. I am still having fevers most nights, but they are very low and nothing has grown out of the cultures.

Right now my blood counts and graft versus host disease (gvhd) are the two areas of focus. Last transplant there never was much of a graft, so we did not worry about gvhd. Luckily, this time there is a graft so we need to be looking out for that a lot.

This news is simply amazing! To see this process really start to work is unbelievable. To be honest, I am not sure if it has hit me or not. Or more so, if I believe it or not. Maybe that is my mind protecting myself from another letdown. But the test showed the numbers and Dr. Buckley's friday night email giving us an "attaboy", means the world to us!



17 comments:

  1. suzycashwell@yahoo.comMay 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

    What fabulous news! I know you have to be cautiously optimistic, but we are just thrilled to hear things are going so well so far. We'll just continue to be cautiously optimistic with you. It's wonderful to hear you have such great support from the doctors (esp. Dr. Buckley) and the folks in the bone marrow clinic. I just looked in on the blog, and hate that it's too late to call Mary Jane - but I'm sure she'll check in in the a.m. if someone in your family hasn't called her already today. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burns and Laura and rest of your family- Such great news for all of you and your doctors. From having been on the donor side of a transplant,I agree with your post- it truly is amazing when all works as hoped for.

    The prayers will continue on this end.

    God Bless you and your family,
    Bobby Foster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burns and Laura, this is the best!!! I'm so happy for you... your determination has paid off! Give yourselves a big hug from me! Love, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burns & Laura--what wonderful news!! I will continue to be cautiously optimistic and send all my prayers your way.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burns,
    What great news!
    Hope things continue to go well and you begin to feel better and better.

    Jim McKee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Love, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT news, Burns! We'll keep saying our prayers...congrats!!!
    Love to your family and you,
    Tracy Hall

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful news!! We know you have to be cautiously optimistic but this is great!! I love the updates and we will all continue to keep the good thoughts/prayers coming! Glad yall got to enjoy some of the derby... can you believe 3 years ago we were all there together!! That was so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so frickin happy to hear this news, I 'bout peed my pants!

    But I said a thank you prayer instead and asked for the miracles to keep on coming. I understand we have to be cautiously optimistic, but I am celebrating anyway. I am SO happy for you and your family.

    We have an amazing heavenly Father indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Burns and Laura, What wonderful news! I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fabulous news'!!!!!!!!!! We are on cloud nine for you all and are going to keep praying but it sounds like such good news" .Congrats!!

    Jane and Ross

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BURNS, WHAT GREAT NEWS!!. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Burns, We are so excited to hear the GOOD NEWS!!!! - we love you and thank you for sharing this amazing journey you and your family have been on! I find myself wanting to sing a praise of Hallelujah!
    M & M Rainosek

    ReplyDelete
  15. MaryScott Perry HaiglerMay 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

    Praise the Lord for the good news, Burns. . . and continued prayers for continued leaps forward. . . and years and years of good health ahead! Love from all of us in Edenton!

    ReplyDelete