Monday, May 21, 2012

DOT +41

The doctors still think I am doing great but my counts right now are not as steady as we would like. This is due to my spleen infection that I had in 2010 and how my spleen is still enlarged today.

They think my marrow is producing what it needs at this point in the transplant but my spleen is soaking all the blood up and keeping my counts low. On Friday my hemoglobin was real low so I needed another blood transfusion. Today it was 7.9 so they did not give me another transfusion. (normal protocol is a transfusion is needed when the hemoglobin is below 8 but due to my spleen, they let me go to 7.5)

We get tomorrow off and it looks like we will start to get several days a week off. I am feeling good but my appetite is still struggling. Now is the time when patience is the most important thing. We will have to wait out these counts getting better and then we can go home. Right now, it's too hard to give a good guess on when that will be.

Thanks for all the prayers, emails, calls, text, and cards!



3 comments:

  1. Whoever said "patience is a virtue" never had to deal with chemo!

    You're doing great, Burns! Keep hanging in there! You're on the right track!

    Love, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Burns. You are tougher than a leatherback marine and I know and pray that your counts stabilize to a normal level. We love you and Laura and are doing our part on the prayer end.
    mopsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Burns, I pray to God that your counts stay at the normal level and your spleen goes back to normal size.

    In Christ Name, Amen.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete