Thursday, July 5, 2012

DOT + 86

All the pre op work is done and we report tomorrow morning at 9 am for a scheduled 11 am surgery. Today was a big day getting blood, platelets, and meeting with the surgical and anesthesiologist team. We feel good about everything and are ready for this to pass. I was quite nervous after the pre op appointment today, but have now had some time to settle and am doing good.

The plan is for the surgery to be an open surgery (incision) about 6 to 8 inches long. It should take about 3 hours and then I hope to only spend 1 night in ICU where they monitor me for bleeding. Due to my low counts, they need to keep a good eye on me. (which I am happy in the icu because I know I will get good care and pain management) Then I should be transferred to the bone marrow unit until discharge.

We just got news today that my blood type has now changed to Johns blood type which is more proof the graft is working! This means we are doing the right thing to get this spleen out!

Laura and I have received a ton of text, calls, cards, and emails today. We cannot thank everyone enough. This has been a long journey for Laura and I and we hope this is the last chapter.

God is Good!

Ps. Someone will be updating the blog tomorrow....

3 comments:

  1. suzycashwell@yahoo.comJuly 5, 2012 at 9:09 PM

    Hope this isn't the last chapter in your journey, but that it's the first chapter in your new life's journey of good health and lots of joy for all of you! Thanks for getting someone to update the blog tomorrow. You need to get some rest and do some recovering! Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now get better so you can go play all that golf that those new cell will want to play!!!!
    God is Good!
    Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Burns, The news about the blood type is confirmation that the miracle is happening!I have prayed lots of prayers already that things go well today. I know the Duke doctors and the ultimate healer will hold you in their hands and do everything to make today a success. You are almost there! Hang tight!!!!! We are looking forward to reading positive blog reports later today!
    xo Ann

    ReplyDelete