Saturday, July 14, 2012

DOT +96

It's Burns again.  The last week has been one of the toughest but yet the most rewarding in my entire life.  Just out of surgery I can remember Laura telling me about how my WBC has already increased to 2.0 in that short period of time.  So that was a sure sign that the surgery was a success and we might be near the end of this journey.  Now it is in the 5.0's!

Then the pain set in.  Wow, did this thing hurt for a while.  They gave me a lot of pain meds which eventually got to be too much and they had to back off all them.  The incision was bigger than expected so the recovery time has also been a little longer and tougher.  But I am OUT of the hospital today and an moving around.  My left side has a lot fluid due to my protein being so low so eating and movement is the most important thing for me right now.

Since my WBC is so high they have given me the freedom to go wherever I want. Laura, Gracie, and I went out to lunch today and I cannot say how much fun it was!  My eyes were huge walking into the restaurant.  I have not been anywhere but the apartment and hospital in months so this was a real treat.  Then we came back to the apartment and had a nice visit with Gracie who came up from Charlotte for the day.  To keep me moving Laura and I then headed to the grocery store where I was able to grab whatever I wanted! (I hit the cake department) We got some steaks tonight and John came up for the night.  I think I am done for the day so I think he will be manning the grill....

So it seems things are closing in and there is light at the end of the tunnel.  We are not sure how long this recovery will take before we can make a trip back to greensboro but knowing that it might be soon is good enough for now.  We will go to the clinic daily to check the incision and make sure my labs are still all good.  My hemoglobin is still low and they expect that to take some time to rebound.

I got an overwhelming amount of support in texts, calls, email, and prayers.  I wish I could have responded to them all but I read every one.  THANK YOU so much for all the support!

And one last thing, Laura's post yesterday could not have been more perfect.  To see Dr. Buckley in person was a dose of medicine that I needed!

10 comments:

  1. Burns......this is absolutely wonderful news! I have prayed that God would strengthen you! What an awesome testimony you have for your life. Tell your dad and mom hello (and John too)! Take care of yourself and enjoy your freedom!

    Gail Tindall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burns,

    You are my HERO!!!! Can't wait to see you and give you a hug!!!!! My love to all the family!!

    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news, Burns and Laura. I tried to post something the other day but somehow it didn't happen. Now that you can go out.....and when you are feeling better - give us a call. I have been waiting for months to show you some fun spots in Durham. Hope to see you soon. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burns,

    Euphoria is a good thing! And you deserve it! Both of you! I have a feeling that you'll be back in the Big G in no time!

    Love, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lu, Walter and JaydenJuly 15, 2012 at 10:02 AM

    What wonderful news!!! I am glad you had a wonderful weekend and I hope grilling out was yummy!! Love the Collazos!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lu, Walter and JaydenJuly 15, 2012 at 10:03 AM

    PS... We WILL be by to see you guys soon!! Once this crazy move to Cary is finished!! Xo's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burns,
    I'm so glad the hell you have endured is finally paying off! Prayers for you to return to the beautiful Green City very soon. You and Laura have been troopers!
    A big hug of congratulations! Adair

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Brownes and Elmores are cheering very loud for you tonight from the beach. Your best update so far!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best news EVER ! Love blantons and Geil girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Burns and Laura, Tears of joy are everywhere this week. These blog reports have been so personal, moving, and positive (even when the news was bad). This has been an amazing journey and you have experienced a true miracle. Thank you for sharing it so eloquently with us. Joyful hugs and love to you both. ann

    ReplyDelete