Sunday, June 24, 2012

DOT +75 - All Bone Marrow Biopsy Results In...

All the results are in and it all looks good, causing a mystery. The density of the bone marrow is good, no viruses, and 85+ % are Johns stem cells. So now comes the question of why my counts are not increasing when the bone marrow looks good?

So far there are two theory's. (many you have heard) First is the fact that my spleen is so large it is "catching" or "filtering" all my cells and they cannot stay in my blood stream. This could be because my spleen and immune system is seeing foreign objects (johns cells) and "filtering" them thinking it is doing the right thing. Well, it's not. So taking my spleen out is being discussed this week. Issue here is I barely have an immune system, extremely low platelets to help my blood clot during surgery, and my spleen is so large (and full of blood) it makes it a more complicated surgery. That scares me. (even though most people can easily take their spleen out)

Another thing could be the immunosurpressment drugs could be keeping the counts down. The fix there is to reduce them. But then graft versus host disease could be a big problem and present a whole new realm of problems.

So we pray the doctors can all talk and come up with the best next step. My guess is they will give it some time just to make sure things don't just fix themselves. My WBC today was 1.0 (needs to be 3.5 or above) and I did not need any blood. I have been needing an average of 2 -3 blood transfusions a week. (which does not help my spleen)

We continue to thank everyone for the prayers, text, calls, emails and everything you do to keep our spirits high!





3 comments:

  1. Burns, your experience has not been for sissies. A lesser man would have crumbled under the myriad of challenges you have faced. Hang in there, and we will continue cheering and praying for you.
    LOVE,
    Mopsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. suzycashwell@yahoo.comJune 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM

    Praying that your body does exactly what the doctors probably think it'll do - fix itself. After all, it's had a lot of experience, hasn't it?
    Saw Mary Jane yesterday. She is eagerly awaiting Ripley's visit! I don't think she's comfortable with only one dog around. And Ripley is the most special dog, of course - next to CiCi. MJ loves you and your family so much - which I'm sure you know.
    I'll continue to pray that your counts improve every day. Hang in there - although I'm sure you're tired of hearing that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burns, I think about you and your family every day. I am praying for everything to turn around quickly so you can get back to a normal life with all new bone marrow and put all the past behind. You are a very strong person (which is obvious at this point) and all your friends and family pulling together with prayer will bring you through this.
    Tell everyone hello for me.
    Donna Phillips

    ReplyDelete