Wednesday, June 27, 2012

DOT +78 ...squared...but who's counting...haha

There has been a lot of waiting the last few days, which I am just fine with. Big decisions like these need to be thought about and I am confident the doctors are using all the brainpower they can. Today, Dr. Chao reached out to my longtime Dr. and discussed my case. I should find out tomorrow what the final decision is.

So far, all indications are that my spleen is coming out. Probably 95+% chance. (or more) I expect them to start reaching out to surgeons tomorrow. I told the PA today that I have been spoiled my whole life with the best of the best doctors, please keep me spoiled when choosing a surgeon.

Yesterday my hemoglobin dropped 1.2 points in 24 hours. For those that do not know, that's a huge drop. My WBC is now down to .4 and platelets are 39. I got blood yesterday and more than likely I will need more tomorrow. They are also going to give me some treatment called IVIG tomorrow. It should help with my hemoglobin dropping so fast and hopefully reduce the need for all these transfusions. (I don't even what to know what the count is now)

To be blunt, I'm nervous as heck. But I guess that is expected. Thanks for all everyone has done! Soon this will pass and we will be back in Greensboro...



8 comments:

  1. Burns - We're praying, praying, praying. You know (and we know) that Dr. Buckley wouldn't suggest or condone anything she didn't think would be best for you. And you know Dr. Chao and the other docs are in the same position. So we'll stand by with all your family and friends, and will do what we can - by praying. Many people you've never heard of are doing the same thing for you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most important thing to remember is that you chose God for your team.

    "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

    When I read this I get a mental image of God holding me up when I'm too weak to stand. It seems to help me and I hope it works for you too. You are obviously a very strong man, and you've got this. But I know it's not easy to be strong all the time, so it can be nice to be reminded that God never grows weak or weary.

    I am praying that God will sends angels with fiery swords to protect you and that he will speak healing and new health for you body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you burns. We re all pulling for you xxxblantons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burns,

    My brother Fred shared your journey with me. We are all praying for you. May His Word give you strength, courage and peace. You are His and He will sustain you!!

    "He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark. You will not be afraid of the terror by night, or of the arrow that flies by day; of the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, or of the destruction that lays waste at noon. A thousand may fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, but is shall not approach you." (Ps 91:4-7)

    De Anne
    deannewingate@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Burns,

    It's ok to be nervous! You'd be crazy if you weren't! You know Dr. Buckley is going to make sure you get the very best. Getting rid of that spleen is the last thing between you and home. So let's get it over with and on that road!

    Love to you both, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Burns, I was just thinking of you today while driving between jobs.
    I pray that you have a speedy recovery with the spleen removal surgery.

    In Christ,
    Greg T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been so brave for so long it is truly amazing you have not been nervous before now. I know we have been. it is a tribute to the wonderful doctors you have caring for you. trust that they will continue to do the right thing for you and remember there are so many payers for your complete recovery going up every day. Thanks for continuing to share the good, the bad and the in between of this journey with us. Can't wait for the final blog and for you to be home in Greensboro.
    Love,
    Susan and Jimmy D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any update re surgery? Love blantons

    ReplyDelete