Monday, April 16, 2012

DOT +6

The last 24 hours have been a little wild. Yesterday I was very tired and took a nap. When I woke up I was starting to get a fever. We thought it was from the nupegeon shots I started yesterday. When the fever hit 100.5 at 7, we called the inpatient unit and they told us to come in for some testing.

They drew some cultures and started me on 2 different types of iv meds. With no white blood cells, any fever I have they must act upon fast. We stayed on the inpaitient ward until around 1 am and finished the meds and went back home. When we got home, another fever poped up and rose to 102.1. We called back twice and they told us to take Tylenol and wait it out till the morning since I already had a lot of iv meds. Not much sleep last night!

When we got to the clininc this morning, a culture had grown out of my central line (a huge iv where all my meds go in) So they had to pull my line and check me into the hospital for a few days of intenses antibiotics. They cannot put another central line in until blood cultures are all negative. I need the central line on order to get all my meds as an outpatient.

The bacterial infections that grew in the test were gram positive and gram negative. They are about to start several different iv antibiotics as I type and they hope it will be cured up pretty fast. Good news here is that I think we caught this very early. Another reason they have the 24 hour care for patients like me that need attention fast.

So I am in the "big house.". The joke around here is the outpatient clinic is called the "out house". I never thought I would say this but...send me to the outhouse!

Luckily it should be a short stay. Laura, mom and dad will be so kind and bring me food. I CANNOT stand hospital food. Then soon we will be back in our apartment.

Thanks for all the support!!

2 comments:

  1. We will be praying for you, Burns! Hopefully they will get this taken care of very fast. I am confident that you and Laura can handle anything.

    We love you both!
    Emily, Doug, Miller and Grady

    ReplyDelete
  2. We continue to keep you in our prayers!
    Trisha
    (Momma to a little man who is now CURED of CGD!)

    ReplyDelete