Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Second Day of Transplant #2

The second half of johns cells were transplanted today. I got another 3 million stem cells to build a new immune system. The transplant went great and was infused is a short 40 minutes.

Due to this being the second go around and the addition of radiation, the effects have been harder. Most of that has been in my stomach as an acid pain or burning sensation. (different from last time which was nausea) The clinic gave me some iv Pepcid and I can take some of over the counter the next few days to help me eat and drink. Some of the drugs I am on are hindered by the pepcid so I have to use it sparingly.

I can definitely tell they have brought my immune system down lower this time to try and help the graft come in. My hemoglobin was 7.0 today, the lowest I can remember since I was 10 or so. They gave me a unit of blood in addition to the cells and will probaly repeat another unit of blood tomorrow.

I am slap worn out right now! I am really glad that the preparation and transplant is behind us and ready to start the waiting game. Right now it is hard to express in words all that is going on. My nurse today did a great job of keeping all of us laughing through the transplant. Laugher is the best medicine!

Here are some pics and will post again tomorrow...tired!!








2 comments:

  1. Lookin' good!

    "It's hard to beat a person who never gives up." - Babe Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. Thanks for the update and great pictures. Praying that the graft will take.

    John

    ReplyDelete