Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day of Transplant

Today is a day that is hard to express in words.  Since I was 2, I have fought CGD with the understanding that I would live my entire life with it.  My Mom and Dad never let it slow us down growing up and they also made sure I had the best health care possible.  Mom and Dad built a special bond with a special person who has been an inspiration, Doctor, and many other things to me; Dr. Rebecca Buckley.  Many of you have heard of Dr. B , but she is one amazing person that kept me going to where I am today.  You can bet that we email daily during all this and she is watching the labs and medicines like a hawk.

Today I am receiving my brother John's stems cells that will soon replace my compromised immune system.  Since the day Dr. Buckley called me about John being a perfect match, I never doubted he would do what he has done this last week.  He has been a trooper and his process was more than what I expected.  John, you know I love you and when this is all done, there will be more fun times ahead.  My guess is one will be near some warm blue water and another near the front row at a Panic show!  And then rest assured, I will more than happy to give those cells as many rounds of golf as they want!

This process will take some time for the transformation from my immune system to John's healthy immune system.  Laura, as she has done since day one without any question, will be right by me in Durham being the best caregiver one could ask for.  Many of the days ahead will be like watching a slow clock tick waiting on lab results and tweaks to make the process be more successful.  We will live carefully trying to avoid a infection during this time of transparency with my weaken immune system.  No doubt, we will find fun things to do and soon be back in Greensboro back to our normal lives.

Laura, you have given up so much because of my illness from a delayed honeymoon, many trips to Duke, being proposed to from a guy with a pic line, and many nights where I had to take it easy because I was not feeling well.  2010 was a tough health year for me, but 2012 will be a new start for us without CGD hanging over our head.  I love you for your patience and looking past CGD at me as a person!  Soon CGD will be in the past! Love you Laura!

I hope my parents can soon post on this blog because I can only imagine what all this means to them.  My parents took me to Duke more Thursdays than not to see Dr. Buckley and keep me healthy and living.  Most of the visit were me and my mom growing up (unless she had a hair cut and then dad stepped up, haha)   I can only imagine the emotions when you learned of CGD and now the reverse of those feelings that it can be cured.  You have given up a lot and always made the right calls with my health.  From knowing when to let me stay on the basketball court or to pull me out and send me straight to Duke.  Your parental instincts have always amazed me and continue to this day.  I love you Mom and Dad!!!

The absolutely amazing support from everyone around has been incredible.  All the emails, Facebook messages, comments, cards, and most importantly prayers, makes all of us feel so loved and keeps the spirits high.  I think the hits on the blog are now over 4,000.  And that means a lot!

So here is to a new Birthday, January 18, 2012!  My appointment is at 10:30 am...

Burns

18 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday. Wonderful post (tears). Best of luck today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers are heading your way! The Poole family is thinking of you all today and wishes you the best of luck!! I know it is a day you have only dreamed of!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryScott Perry HaiglerJanuary 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

    Burns,
    All the Perrys in Edenton are pulling for you! What an amazing story. . .and thanks be to God for this happy day! I can only imagine how it must feel to see this LIGHT at the end of the tunnel. Even better than a limit of ducks and a hole in one in the same day! You, John, and your family are in our constant thoughts and prayers. Lots of love,
    Mary Scott and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whispering many prayers for you and John today. Add 'Everlasting God' by Lincoln Brewster to your BMT playlists, if it isn't there already. It speaks to the bible passage I am claiming on your behalves today - Isaiah 40:26-31.

    You guys have amazing strength, and today you soar! Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck Burns!! Cannot wait to hear how it goes!! Lots of love from GSO!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many, many thoughts, wishes and prayers!
    Happy New Health Year, Happy Birthday!

    Sincerely,
    The Ellison's

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in my prayers. l have met you only once but l know from my friend Jinette Ellis that you are a fine young man. God Bless you and your family, Fondly, Peggy Nowell

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got the link to this blog today and read every single entry to catch up on what is going on with the Blackwells. What an inspiring and strong family you are! I am sending many well wishes and prayers you way. You all are so blessed to have each other! Happy Birthday Burns!
    Leigh Wheeler

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Burns! I hope today goes well and that the days that follow are perfectly smooth. We are praying for you and your health, for Laura and the entire Blackwell family! Love and prayers, Elizabeth and Jonathan Hall

    ReplyDelete
  10. Burn's, I am amazed through all these years how brave of a person you are. My thoughts and prayers are with you, John, and your entire family.

    Good luck today and I can't wait to be with you and your brother, front row at a Panic show!

    J Fields

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Perfet day!!! God is good. Patience is going to be your next best friend. I will continue praying for you all daily love to all your family from the rankins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Burns- I get chills reading your blog. You and John are an inspiration to us all. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers every day as you have been for the last two years. As a friend told me" Keep battling". Best, Jim and Caroline Barber

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Birthday Burns. Best and many blessings to you and your family. You and Laura are in our prayers. Natalie Hyde

    ReplyDelete
  14. Burns - You are in our prayers. Keep up the great work and I'll see you soon.

    Patton, Tish & Joe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Burns- You and John are truley inspiring. You are in my family's prayers. Can't wait to see you and the family in Greensboro in the future. Oh yeah, we may run into one another at one of those Panic shows one day.

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goosebumps and tears. Happy happy happy happiest of birthdays Burns'. I think this calls for an annual birthday bash! I can't wait to get the ok from Laura to come visit you guys. You have a heart of gold and will soon have an unbreakable immune system. It warms my heart to see the way you and Laura glow when y'all are with each other and I can't wait to see yalls lives blossom as you begin this new journey. I am so happy for you. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday to you and your entire family. What a wonderful time for you all. Much love and prayers.

    Cady T.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW, What a wonderful story of true "brotherly" LOVE!!! Brave young men. Richard and I are in awe and inspired. Prayers and all good wishes from the Holderness tribe!

    ReplyDelete